Saturday, February 13, 2010

Disperity and dearth : Does it portrays my identity : A retrospective view of my understanding to my country! Search for Hope.

Being born in the one of the most impoverished nations in the world, having seen and experienced what hunger is, I have seen children's playing in war zone and conflict shattering dreams of many, resulting in a bruised socio-economical and political condition of the beautiful Himalayan Shangrilla. I supposed, the main cause of this was nothing but the poverty and the gap created by poverty between different classes of our society. My definition of a better scientific world when I was in Nepal was (not necessarily a world created with great scientific achievements and lavishness),a place where people would get two times a meal daily, a place where children would not be forced to carry weapons but rather get a chance to go to school and get proper education. Place where there would  be no discrimination amongst caste and creed, where peace and harmony are the languages known rather than war and anguish and where nobody has to give his life either out of any conflict or poverty.This would really be a great challenge for science filling the gap ,the difference between the west and the third world countries like Nepal. My thought is that the next step of science should be in the scientific and uniform distribution of the existing technological achievements throughout the world. As long as there is unevenness in the distribution of the assets of science there will be war zone, inequality, malnutrition and diseases. Up until now, we have had scientific achievements and its distribution in a localized way, leading to the socio-economical segregation between different parts of the world. So, the next step should be to bridge that gap created between technological society and the existing backward society.

Science is knowledge. As until now we have utilized this knowledge in a positive as well as a negative way. Today we are proud to have achieved what our forefathers used to see in their dreams, However, still our achievements are in a tarnished state and the finishing is still left to be done. Hereafter, science should focus on solidifying its achievements in order to avoid the further imbalance prevalent today amongst different sectors of world and society. Similar to the ecosystem if the balance between production and consumption is uneven it will result in the unnatural disturbance, we have to mobilize the achievements of science in order to avoid such disturbance like hunger, poverty, diseases and illiteracy.


Having got a chance to study in Japan, Luckily I got a chance to see what science and technology has had its effect in this foreign soil. At last for a moment I felt I have arrived to the place where I wanted my childhood to nurture, the difference I saw was imminent. A big building I could see reminded me of a common hut in my village made up of bamboo and soil, huge bridge across the river I compared with the wooden logs we used to cross the river, big roads with huge number of vehicles was of reminder of a pathway in my village where I watched sheep's march and I followed behind those. When I saw those crowds of people running after their destinations I compared myself when I used to run after the lost kites in the sky. My stay in Japan was really amazing, great food to eat, I could use laptops now and learned a lot of things about computers, society and cultures. My experience was similar to the dream I used to see when I was a child, At last I was in my dreamland. I was so much immersed in this world that I left all the agony and frustrations at my country.

At the same time, when I looked back the ruins of my motherland I believed that the role science has played in getting the human generation to 21st century has had its limitations and its role is still unfulfilled up until when country like mine will exist in this world.

My personal view regarding scientific change is that Change depends upon the heart of those who initiates it. There may arrive time when civilization may reach inter-terrestrial level and expand its horizon throughout this universe, As the foundation of which has already been created in the developed countries like the US.Poverty is like a disease, it should be stopped from spreading. Back in my country there are many places like Rolpa where we see people fighting for rotten grains unsuitable to eat, Although science has gone a long way still we see such happenings in many parts of the world, while the rest of the world had been developing My country I looked back was going to dark ages day by day. But, one day I heard that some initiation to bridge the gap between technology had been taken by some group of enthusiasts back in my country and they were working for was for the complete transformation of the villages in remote areas of Nepal.

The place called Myagdi,in the heights of the Himalayas it lied seven hours hard climb to the nearest roadway, These people never saw a telephone and even electricity was out of reach. School was miles away and students didn't have pencils or paper to write with. There arose an inspirational man. A Nepali citizen after he finished his studies in USA came to build a high school in this remote area.While he was teaching in that school, he had to travel for two days to reach the nearby city to check his emails. This condition, he informed to BBC and when BBC publicized his ideas, lots of volunteers form Europe and Americas came to help. When he installed four used donated computers in his school teaching students how to use it, it became a start. With the help of donated computers and wireless devices, he had setup relay stations around his village. Now all of sudden these peoples were connected to rest of the world with the latest technology. The impact was imminent. The people have started using computers that were once a waste for the westerners, Suddenly teleteaching has started, local people benefited form the medical facilities from the doctors of big cities, and villagers now e marketed their local products and household goods. People now use online libraries,online health clinic, and e shopping. Really the wireless boon of the science really had a tremendous impact upon the socio-economical aspects of the rural people. The same moment concentrated not only to Myagdi village, but seeing its success the wireless were similarly set up in the nearby villages and rural parts of Nepal, and the once isolated villages are now a global village connected by one of the most fantastic technologies of Science.

So, An example set up, the impact the wireless project had brought about a revolutionary effect in a then so called Dark Village. There are certainly more such rural parts as Myagdi in Nepal and in many parts of the world. Together and with the aid of some of the fantastic innovations of science we can make the world a better place to live.

The places where it was very difficult to reach and where it was almost impossible to access information regarding outside world. Science was making things possible and was easing peoples life in a remarkable way. How did that happened is really a wonderful story I take a great morale from. A man called Mahabir Pun a Nepali student in USA initiated a per dollar program from the abroad Nepalese and collected that money and went back to the inaccessible villages of Nepal and set up wireless devices which enabled the poor mountain peoples an not only an easy access to information and internet but also they could now easily communicate with other peoples of other mountainous regions easily. It seems a small progress to most of the people, But it turned out to be a miraculous aid for the people of that region. Just after 1 year of the installation of the wireless device suddenly the lifestyle of those people changed dramatically and their purchasing power rose at once. Now here we see how can a small change brought about by science can bring about a tremendous change in peoples life. Not only it was the technology which changed their status from normal people but also it enabled them to learn and acquire knowledge in a much similar way the westerners do.

This step was a bold step which filled the gap between the people of remote areas the rich peoples of the cities. A small step like that can really be a giant step for the whole mankind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.